As a man, I love to win. I mean the fun for me is winning. Over the last 3 regular seasons with my baseball team, we only lost 12 games in 3 seasons. In playing cards (yes I do!), I hate to lose and have a system that I play Spades and Hearts. I am so competitive, my wife will not even be my partner. In getting to a destination, when leaving with multiple cars, I can’t stand being there last. I just really dislike losing.
Over the last 5 years of my life, though, I have noticed something that has begun to change in me. I still don’t like to lose, but I don’t mind not winning! I am being redefined! It has not been easy on me or those closest to me, but my definition is changing. Winning doesn’t define me. Even as I write this, I realize things that no longer define me.
- My family. Oh how I love Jen, Isaiah, Bella, and Ian! But they are not the defining relationships in my life.
- My calling in the ministry. Though it is special to me and there are a lot of intricate pieces and parts – it is not who I am!
- My dreams and goals. I have a few – go back to school, own a café/restaurant, write a book, coach in upper leagues of baseball, travel the world, own a couple of horses (for my wife), influence the world for Jesus – just to name a few.
These things do not define me! “So Dan, what defines you? What is your definition?” I am glad you asked, because that is a great question! Let me give you a couple of answers…
- Gen. 1:26, “Let us make man in our own image, after our likeness…”
- Acts 17:28, “For in Christ we live and move and have our being.”
- Hebrews 12:2, “Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith!”
- Rev. 22:13, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”
Really, the band “LifeHouse” said it best in there song – “Everything”…
You are the strength,
That keeps me walking.
You are the hope that keeps me trusting.
You are the light to my soul.
You are my purpose, You’re everything.
You’re all I want, You’re all I need,
You’re everything, everything.
Wherever you are at today, let Jesus be your EVERYTHING! Let Him REDEFINE you!
Great video and post. So many of us let what we do, define who we are.