Moses has just died. By default, Joshua became the new leader of the Nation of Israel.
Joshua was a standout leader. Always going further and higher than those around Moses. Sometimes even further than Moses! Ex. 33:11, “When Moses left, Joshua Son of Nun, would remain behind in the tent of meeting!”
Nevertheless, Joshua had some pretty big shoes to fill. Let’s look at Deut. 34:9-12 “Now Joshua son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him. So the people of Israel obeyed him, doing just as the Lord had commanded Moses. There has never been another prophet in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face. The Lord sent him to perform all the miraculous signs and wonders in the land of Egypt against Pharaoh, and all his servants, and his entire land. With mighty power, Moses performed terrifying acts in the sight of all Israel.”
Somehow, through it all, Joshua pulled himself up by his boot straps, readied himself, and headed into his Promised Land––into his 2013!
I want to give you 5 Keys for your Heart and Soul to being READY to take on your 2013, based on Joshua 1.
R – Ready For God’s Call! – Vss. 1–4
- After the death of Moses the Lord’s servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, “Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. I promise you what I promised Moses: ‘Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you— 4 from the Negev wilderness in the south to the Lebanon mountains in the north, from the Euphrates River in the east to the Mediterranean Sea in the west, including all the land of the Hittites.’
- Being ready for God’s call is the enemy of lethargy!
E – Expectation of God’s Favor! – Vs. 5
- No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.
- Expectation of God’s favor is the opposite of self-propelled living!
A – Attitude from God’s Heart, not yours! – Vss.6–9
- “Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Attitude from God’s heart lets go of selfish ambition and vain conceit!
D – Discipline for God’s Will! – Vss. 10–15
- Joshua then commanded the officers of Israel, “Go through the camp and tell the people to get their provisions ready. In three days you will cross the Jordan River and take possession of the land the Lord your God is giving you.” Then Joshua called together the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh. He told them, “Remember what Moses, the servant of the Lord, commanded you: ‘The Lord your God is giving you a place of rest. He has given you this land.’ Your wives, children, and livestock may remain here in the land Moses assigned to you on the east side of the Jordan River. But your strong warriors, fully armed, must lead the other tribes across the Jordan to help them conquer their territory. Stay with them until the Lord gives them rest, as he has given you rest, and until they, too, possess the land the Lord your God is giving them. Only then may you return and settle here on the east side of the Jordan River in the land that Moses, the servant of the Lord, assigned to you.”
- Discipline for God’s will is harder than what everyone else is doing!
Y – Yielding Control to God! – Vss. 16–18
- They answered Joshua, “We will do whatever you command us, and we will go wherever you send us. We will obey you just as we obeyed Moses. And may the Lord your God be with you as He was with Moses. Anyone who rebels against your orders and does not obey your words and everything you command will be put to death. So be strong and courageous!”
- Yielding control to God in the hard times comes when you have yielded in the easy times!
Are you READY for 2013?